Nicole Lyon, RDN, CD, RYT
Owner, Registered Dietitian Nutritionist, Registered Yoga Teacher
I have been fascinated by nutrition since high school when I took biology, anatomy, and culinary classes. Both the medical field and food service. have always interested me after working in restaurants and hospitals. Going to college at Texas Tech University, I brought together my passions for cooking and medicine by studying nutrition & dietetics. Registered Dietitian since 2015, I have been helping clients improve their health with education on how the body works, to understand how different foods and eating behaviors can impact health long term. My background as a clinical dietitian in a 108-bed hospital in Texas allowed me to see the most severe cases of unmanaged diseases. It ignited my desire to help people establish healthy habits from their homes, to reduce or avoid time spent in the hospital. As an outpatient dietitian for 2 years, I helped many patients reduce or eliminate medications, improve their blood work numbers, and avoid complications of their conditions. In December 2018, I became a registered yoga teacher. This taught me mindfulness and stress management techniques that I actively incorporate into my nutrition counseling. While I have known for many years how nutrition can improve one’s health, I understood it more profoundly after healing my own gastroesophageal reflux disease (or GERD) in 2019. By changing what I was eating, drinking, and my mindset around foods, I was able to heal my stomach. Now I can tolerate almost any foods without heartburn!
Email Nicole about nutrition counseling: email@example.com
Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN #86032659), July 2015
Dietitian Certification, Washington (DI60786399), October 2017
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionist for ATI Physical Therapy, 2018 – 2020, Seattle, WA
- Providing outpatient medical nutrition therapy for patients with a variety of chronic diseases using a motivational interviewing counseling technique for behavioral change
- Continuing Education Co-Chair as Board Member of the Greater Seattle Dietetic Association, 2018-2019, Seattle, WA
- Planned and organized multiple continuing education events for medical providers, dietitians, & nutrition students
- Clinical Dietitian for Aramark, 2015 – 2017, Waxahachie, TX
- Worked with nutrition support for inpatient acute care with Baylor Scott & White Medical Center
- Provided outpatient oncology nutrition education for Baylor Scott & White Charles. A Sammons Cancer Center
- Dietetic Technician for Aramark, 2015 – 2017, Dallas, TX
- Assisted dietitians in instruction of patients on special diets at Baylor University Medical Center
- Reviewed patient charts and interpreted lab values as related to nutritional status
- Obtained food preferences and recommended supplemental feedings.
- Dietetic Intern, 2014 – 2015, Dallas, TX
- Focus in food service management & clinical nutrition with Medical City Dallas Hospital
- Bachelor of Science in Nutrition & Dietetics from Texas Tech University, December 2013, Lubbock, TX
Namaste with Nicole
I attended my very first yoga class at Express Family Fitness in my home town of Coppell, Texas. The gentle & power yoga classes were taught by passionate teachers, and it is where I learned the basic postures. Throughout college, I participated in classes at the student recreation center. What I remember most was the challenge by one teacher to hold our arms out to both sides for 5 straight minutes. The way my body feels whenever I have left these classes – strong, energized, refreshed, balanced – has been incredibly helpful for calming my anxious mind. Yoga has taught me how to slow down, tune into my body, to deepen the love and respect I have for it.
In 2018, I completed a year long 200-hour yoga teacher training with Seattle Yoga Arts. The program taught about all types of yoga, but was rooted in Anusara yoga. It focused on principles of postures to avoid pain or discomfort that open up channels within your body for optimal alignment. Beyond the poses, anatomy, and breath work, Seattle Yoga Arts also encouraged studying the philosophy and lengthy history of yoga. Anusara yoga has a heart centered approach that, through proper alignment, helps people draw upon their innate inner strength to deepen their experience – of a pose or of life.
I utilize aspects from my yoga teaching in my nutrition practice. I teach breathing techniques and provide meditations to patients who need help with mindful eating, overeating, stress management, and anxiety. I often encourage patients to listen to their bodies as we are all born with cues about when and even what to eat, if only we can tune in and listen.
“Nicole’s classes are always engaging and restorative. She strikes a perfect balance between helpful and supportive in her teaching, and tailors her classes seamlessly to the interests and abilities of the participants. I always love taking classes with her!” – L.H.
“…Nicole’s classes were different. Not only were they an amazing workout, but the way she led the class had me more mindful of my body, and more intentional with my movements. She was great at giving us themes for the practice which gave my mind something to focus on, and she gave ample time for savasana to decompress. I love how Nicole always checks in with our bodies to make sure we’re not hurting ourselves and to offer modifications throughout… -S.C.
“I have been practicing yoga for about 7 years, and Nicole is one of my favorite yoga teachers of all time! By the end of each practice, my body feels absolutely amazing: open, nourished, detoxified. I always have absolute confidence and trust that whatever asana Nicole takes me through, it will be exactly what my body needs in that moment, as proven over and over again every time I practice with her. Not only does her practice do wonders in the moment via asana, her message also trickles out to other aspects of life, encouraging her students to tap into our body cues as we move through our day-to-day and make decisions from a place that is more aligned with our intuition. She’s amazing! I wish everyone in the world could experience Nicole’s approach to yoga!” -H.C.